Lightwave: How to use an image to create a 2D->3D object?

Stuck on how to use a modelling tool or render a special effect?
Here is the place to ask! Start a new thread but browse first for other threadds that already have the answer to your question!
Iarla

Lightwave: How to use an image to create a 2D->3D object?

Post by Iarla »

I'd like to import a 2D monochrome logo and perform operations such as extrude, surfacing and colouring. What is the best way to do this? Also, it seems I can only import IFF images despite having the jpg datatype installed on AmigaOS. Is there a quick way to convert to IFF?
muadib
Site Admin

Re: Lightwave: How to use an image to create a 2D->3D object?

Post by muadib »

Iarla wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:20 pm I'd like to import a 2D monochrome logo and perform operations such as extrude, surfacing and colouring. What is the best way to do this?
Hi Iarla,
To use a 2D monochrome logo you first have to make it an object, i.e. create it as geometry.
First you load the image as Background in Modeler and then you can use, say, curves by:
1. Clicking on Objects -> Sketch and drawing the outline of your logo using LMB followed by Enter, or by,
2. Laying points by using Polygon -> Points by either pointing using LMB followed by Enter or RMB directly. Later you can join them using 'p' for polygons or 'Ctrl+o' for curves.

'Curves' is a delicate tool that will be discussed at a later episode of the webcast.
Also, it seems I can only import IFF images despite having the jpg datatype installed on AmigaOS. Is there a quick way to convert to IFF?
Lightwave doesn't work with datatypes, it rather has plugins for loading/saving images.
Have you installed the AmiHIIP plugins?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57

Note: These plugins must be loaded both in Layout and Modeler.

Another option I use often is convert images to IFF using ImageFX.
- muadib
Ral-Clan

Post by Ral-Clan »

Just a note that Pixel3D / PixelPro3D (if you can find it) had the ability to trace a bitmap image (i.e. text or logo scanned in) and generated an object that could be imported into Lightwave modeller for extrusion and tweaking.

Perhaps that might save time.

No affiliation with this link (software for sale):
https://shop.myamigashop.com/products/p ... dore-amiga

Archive.org manual:
https://archive.org/details/Pixel_3D_Pr ... 7/mode/2up
Iarla

Post by Iarla »

muadib, Ral-Clan, thanks very much for the helpful information. Since I have experience with 2D, I think it would save time to import logos this way. Much appreciated!
Ral-Clan

Post by Ral-Clan »

I am pretty sure you can find Pixel3d by googling the keywords: Pixel3d Amiga adf
I was able to find version 2.0 published in 1994, which I believe is the latest version.
There is a "Pixel 3D" and a "Pixel 3D Professional". I believe the latter is the most recent software (although it can be confusing because "Pixel 3D" has higher version numbers but it is actually the older, first generation version of the software. No matter, you can install both versions).

Note, I believe you will need to boot with RTG graphics disabled to run it properly (can do this by holding the right mouse button while booting).
If you don't use RTG graphics, then it should just run fine.