Ep.3 Logo Perfection

We will be submitting our homework for every episode here.
muadib
Site Admin

Ep.3 Logo Perfection

Post by muadib »

Upload your homework logo images here!

Episode's link with timing: https://amigaraytracers.com/webcourse/003.php
Twitch link: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/631037958

Have fun!
- muadib
DLG

Re: Ep.3 Logo Perfection

Post by DLG »

Now I come again with my homework and some new issues I've came across... :oops:
When I was hesitating about the colors applied to texture, I took a glimpse at the UI of the software itself and found that grey and yellow is not bad! ;)
This rendered image without having "Trace Shadows" in the Camera Panel ticked was acceptable but things got different when having the shadow calculated...
It seems that no matter where the light is put at,what direction the light faces towards or what type of light(distant,point and spot) it was,only the front surface of the letter G received enough light. I've set the diffuse level as 100% and specular level as 50% to the texture of each letters.
Ahhh... Sorry to bother you again and again and thank you so much for helping me with going on learning LightWave...!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muadib
Site Admin

Post by muadib »

I see. This happens perhaps due to some polygons being non-planar. Try ticking the Double Sided option in the surfaces panel for all surfaces and post what they look like with shadows...
- muadib
DLG

Post by DLG »

muadib wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:23 pm I see. This happens perhaps due to some polygons being non-planar. Try ticking the Double Sided option in the surfaces panel for all surfaces and post what they look like with shadows...
Thanks! I tried it and now they look a bit better but they are still problematic in some details...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muadib
Site Admin

Post by muadib »

Looks very nice for a first try, congrats!

First, try to untick the Smooth option.

Then, U might want to fix your geometry in Modeller, as it seems that there are polys that intersect with each other and the renderer gets confused. I think there is a mention about it as well as techniques for detailing/fixing them in some episodes, can't remember which right now...

This mostly happens when we Bevel a lot inwards and polys meet each other.

Experiment with it a bit and watch how I fix that later in the course using the Weld tool.
- muadib
DLG

Post by DLG »

muadib wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:57 pm Looks very nice for a first try, congrats!

Then, U might want to fix your geometry in Modeller, as it seems that there are polys that intersect with each other and the renderer gets confused. I think there is a mention about it as well as techniques for detailing/fixing them in some episodes, can't remember which right now...

Experiment with it a bit and watch how I fix that later in the course using the Weld tool.
According to the location I live in,it's time to sleep now...I'm going to try fixing the models of letters or make another version of these letters after I get up. Hope that I would manage to solve this problem...!

I will also watch episode 6 of your tutorial and submit the homework of ep.4 in the forum if I have enough time.
DLG

Post by DLG »

DLG wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:16 pm
muadib wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:57 pm Looks very nice for a first try, congrats!

According to the location I live in,it's time for me to watch other people doing interesting things about Amiga for a while and then go to sleep...
I'm going to try fixing the models of letters or make another version of these letters after I get up. Hope that I would manage to solve this problem...!

I will also watch episode 6 of your tutorial and submit the homework of ep.4 in the forum if I have enough time.
Update: I am lying on my bed and replying your posts on a mobile phone. When I wanted to edit my reply, I pressed the "quote" button by mistake and then submited it without noticing. How embarrassing it is...!
muadib
Site Admin

Post by muadib »

Hehe, no worries really.

Time for bed here, too!
Keep it up and ask away if you have questions!
- muadib
muadib
Site Admin

Post by muadib »

From here I explain how to correct small geometry errors that are a result of a series of Bevels:
https://youtu.be/5udn9uP0DPo?t=2398
- muadib
DLG

Post by DLG »

muadib wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:00 pm Hehe, no worries really.

Time for bed here, too!
Keep it up and ask away if you have questions!
I'm trying to make a new version of my freeform logo and hoped that I would get a fine result without any issues in the future. I haven't changed its texture yet. It's still basically fine when I have the 'Trace Shadows' ticked except the beveled part of the letter D is missing on previews and renders. When I was creating the model of the letter L, I found some intersecting lines and then moved the position of points and it seems to be no problem there. However, I have no idea about how to solve the problem with the letter D... :oops: