Ep.5 Animating

We will be submitting our homework for every episode here.
muadib
Site Admin

Ep.5 Animating

Post by muadib »

Upload your homework logo images/anims here!
Here is an example:
Muadib.gif

Episode's link with timing: https://amigaraytracers.com/webcourse/005.php
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- muadib
MiDWaN
Site Admin

Re: Ep.5 Animating

Post by MiDWaN »

midwan-logo-(loop).gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Iarla

Post by Iarla »

My object is not rotating around it's center, but an axis to the left of it. How can I fix that precisely? I'm sure it's already been mentioned so apologies!
Last edited by Iarla on Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muadib
Site Admin

Post by muadib »

Hi Iarla,

You can fix it two ways:
1. In modeler, run the 'Center' macro on your object so it gets centered and then save.
2. (Not too accurate) In Layout, edit the position of the Pivot point by placing it in the center and then keyframing it. This should be done prior to any animating.
- muadib
Iarla

Post by Iarla »

Perfect. Thank you. I'll go back and find the Center macro :)
Iarla

Post by Iarla »

That's working perfectly. Thank you Muadib!

Regarding a later stage in the video (40 minutes+), I do not yet have surfaces created (I did not continue from previous homework). My question is; do I need to repeat all the steps from episode 2 (eg cut each face and paste them to new layers before assigning surfaces), or can I just assign surfaces to selections regardless of layers?
muadib
Site Admin

Post by muadib »

Great job, Iarla! Congrats!

Regarding surfacing, yes, both work. If you can see which polygons are selected then go for it. Otherwise, selecting and cutting-pasting to a new layer before assigning a surface is a sure and clean way to be certain you wont end up with stray polygons assigned to surfs you do not want.
- muadib
Iarla

Post by Iarla »

Thanks again Muadib! That solves my problem. Some more questions for you if you don't mind:

At one point you finish moving objects in Modeler and switch to Layout after exporting to layer and saving. The letters are all aligned perfectly in Layout then. So the question: was it the layer exporting or the saving that allowed Layout to update dynamically like that? I always thought Layout had no clue about the status of Modeler and it was required to reload objects. (1h03m40s https://youtu.be/iWvHCvtVf7o?t=3822)

Another question: when I save an object, only the visible layer is saved. If I select multiple layers and save, they are all saved but the layers are merged into one. So my understanding is that saved objects have no concept of layers. Is this correct behaviour or am I making a mistake somewhere?

Final question: what exactly does export to layer do?
Iarla

Post by Iarla »

Another question, after I arrange my letters perfectly in Layout, pressing F9 renders them on top of each other. When I return from the render, I see this:
del.png
I saved the scene and did Objects->Save All Objects beforehand. Sorry for all the questions :)

I have split the object into 5 parts: Am, i (no dot), the dot for the i alone, ga and !.

I save the state of the emulator between attemps and restore them later to continue working. Just mentioning it in case it's related :)
muadib
Site Admin

Post by muadib »

Iarla wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:07 pm Some more questions for you if you don't mind:
Not at all, shoot!
At one point you finish moving objects in Modeler and switch to Layout after exporting to layer and saving. The letters are all aligned perfectly in Layout then. So the question: was it the layer exporting or the saving that allowed Layout to update dynamically like that? I always thought Layout had no clue about the status of Modeler and it was required to reload objects. (1h03m40s https://youtu.be/iWvHCvtVf7o?t=3822)
At that point in the video I exported to LAYOUT, which does not have layers.
Here is what 'Exporting to Layout' does:
1. Exporting to an existing object slot OVERWRITES that object previously loaded in Layout, but WITHOUT SAVING TO DISK. Useful for small, fast and dynamic changes/adjustments.
2. On the other hand, exporting a geometry to Layout as NEW, a requester opens for saving the object to disk and also exports the object to Layout.

In general, Layout communicates with Modeler via an ARexx port when you export/import geometry. This happens only if you start Modeler via the Layout button up to the right, NOT via the Workbench.
Another question: when I save an object, only the visible layer is saved. If I select multiple layers and save, they are all saved but the layers are merged into one. So my understanding is that saved objects have no concept of layers. Is this correct behaviour or am I making a mistake somewhere?
Exactly, this is correct!
Final question: what exactly does export to layer do?
Do you mean Export to Layout? I couldn't find 'Export to layer'...
Iarla wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:29 pm Another question, after I arrange my letters perfectly in Layout, pressing F9 renders them on top of each other. When I return from the render, I see this:
del.png

I saved the scene and did Objects->Save All Objects beforehand. Sorry for all the questions :)

I have split the object into 5 parts: Am, i (no dot), the dot for the i alone, ga and !.

I save the state of the emulator between attemps and restore them later to continue working. Just mentioning it in case it's related :)
This happens because you should Keyframe them. Try moving each object and keyframe it (Double Enter for keyframing it at the current frame) before moving to the next one!
- muadib