Maybe we need a new section in the forum

General talk forum.
walkero

Maybe we need a new section in the forum

Post by walkero »

I would recommend the creation of a new section in the forum where we can discuss about Objects, Fonts and generally about content that we could gather.

What do you think?
Iarla

Re: Maybe we need a new section in the forum

Post by Iarla »

Interesting idea Walkero. Would this just be for object exchange / sharing, or would it be also for talking about how to manipulate objects?
walkero

Post by walkero »

I am thinking of only sharing objects, fonts, scenes etc.. As a main place to first look when you need to find something, for example objects of amiga computers.
Iarla

Post by Iarla »

I like this idea. It would be nice also ta have a posting guideline, like the subject could be:

Name of object + file size

And the body could contain a screenshot and maybe more information.
muadib
Site Admin

Post by muadib »

Hi guys,

That is a great idea!
We would need another section of the website, then, other than the forum.

If this would be brought about, we will need a plan...
Any suggestions?
- muadib
Iarla

Post by Iarla »

Hi Muadib,

There might be something better. I'm not sure what, but FTP might suit. Or even something fancy like HOL but for 3D objects which can be easily searched by date, title, author etc.

That's all my brain has to offer at this time :~)
muadib
Site Admin

Post by muadib »

FTP Repo should work OK, the only obstacle right now is that this site is hosted on the server I have my company's site, so there is not much space I can allocate to FTP.

BTW, what is HOL?

UPDATE:
I don't know if you are aware of it but there is a whole section on Aminet about 3D objects etc. here:
http://aminet.net/pix/3dobj
- muadib
Iarla

Post by Iarla »

HOL is on abime.net. It's a database frontend to find what you're looking for (games, in that case) http://hol.abime.net/

aminet.net sounds good actually. No point in splitting the effort. They have over 500 3D objects and all that's missing in terms of ease of use is a screenshot for each entry (at least, as a newbie that would really help). But I have LW3D installed so maybe I could quickly screenshot the LW3D objects on Aminet and host them somewhere.
muadib
Site Admin

Post by muadib »

I see,
Could we then have a Forum section called, say, "Objects Repository" with screenshots as attachments followed by the Aminet link, perhaps?
- muadib
Iarla

Post by Iarla »

That could work. I think personally the objects should be submitted to aminet and the post here should have a thumbnail with the link.

If the BBS software supports thumbnails for posts (just in the objects section) it would make navigation very quick. Otherwise, I could put together a gallery from the posts here as they are made.