Ep.6 More texturing

We will be submitting our homework for every episode here.
muadib
Site Admin

Ep.6 More texturing

Post by muadib »

Upload your homework logo images/anims here!

Episode's link with timing: https://amigaraytracers.com/webcourse/006.php
- muadib
Iarla

Re: Ep.6 More texturing

Post by Iarla »

Can you tell me why my Disc has lines that zig-zag but yours are straight? I used the exact same settings:

Sides: 32
Segments: 1
Bottom: -500mm
Top: 500mm
Axis: Y
Center X,Y,Z: 0
Raidd X,Y,Z: 500mm

We seem to both have the same grid size even (200mm).
From the episode:
h.jpg
My screenshot:
g.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muadib
Site Admin

Post by muadib »

Iarla wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:47 pm Can you tell me why my Disc has lines that zig-zag but yours are straight? I used the exact same settings:

Sides: 32
Segments: 1
Bottom: -500mm
Top: 500mm
Axis: Y
Center X,Y,Z: 0
Raidd X,Y,Z: 500mm
Check your Polygon settings under Options (hotkey 'o'), it should be Quadrangles instead of Triangles. Change that and try again! :D
- muadib
Iarla

Post by Iarla »

Thank you. It doesn't change the existing object but creating a new one gave the desired result!

I got a lot out of this episode and enjoyed the pace. It was easy to follow.

After the 1 hour mark, the episode explores Specular Level operations and Bump Map until the end. I didn't see any noticeable results doing these operations. But I think I was using images that weren't suitable.

I had already FractalReflections.iff (the only one I had) as a texture. So for Specular Level I used the same image, resized to .5 X,Y,Z to give a different appearance. For bump map, I again used the same image scaled differenly.
Gan Teideal.png
I repositioned the light as done in the episode to be sure, but I think my method was just not right.

I get the general idea though and will be able to follow (and I think understand) when these are used in later episodes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muadib
Site Admin

Post by muadib »

Iarla wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:45 pm Thank you. It doesn't change the existing object but creating a new one gave the desired result!
Indeed. This option is for future tool invocations. There are ways to merge existing polygons, which is a subject somewhat more advanced and will be dealt with in the future.
I got a lot out of this episode and enjoyed the pace. It was easy to follow.

After the 1 hour mark, the episode explores Specular Level operations and Bump Map until the end. I didn't see any noticeable results doing these operations. But I think I was using images that weren't suitable.

I had already FractalReflections.iff (the only one I had) as a texture. So for Specular Level I used the same image, resized to .5 X,Y,Z to give a different appearance. For bump map, I again used the same image scaled differenly.
Gan Teideal.png

I repositioned the light as done in the episode to be sure, but I think my method was just not right.

I get the general idea though and will be able to follow (and I think understand) when these are used in later episodes.
Specularity maps are best viewed in animations where the objects are moved in changing angles in relation to the camera/light, really. It also helps to make sure to have darker colors in your surface for the specular parts to shine through. Try maing your own specular maps, by trying say a black with white letters. Then dress it on a sphere with no other mapping. Then make the sphere red and rotate it and find an angle where the specular part will shine to the camera.
- muadib